business, Family Immigration, Family residence Spain, Permit for investor

Residence permit for investors


The FEE is € 60 (in general)


It has a period of VALIDITY of a YEAR (exception: acquisition of real estate by means of a deposit agreement)


You must apply BEFORE YOU TRAVEL to Barcelona

How to apply

It is applied for IN PERSON o trough a Lawyer
What is it?
This is the document that entitles you to reside and work in the territory, with the main objective of making a significant capital investment. It applies to foreign nationals from outside the European Union (EU), the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland. 

Important information
 This must be applied for if the foreign individual who has made a significant investment is outside Spain. 
 It has a duration of one year. If residency is required for more than a year and the requirements can be met, the investor can request the residence permit for capital investors at any time prior to the expiry of the visa. 
This type of visa does not require the recipient to reside in Spain. 

Why do you have to apply for it?
It is important, since it is obligatory to be able to reside and work in Spanish territory for people who are not from the EU, the EEA or Switzerland.

Who does it apply to?

Two cases must be distinguished:

  • It applies to individuals outside the EU, the EEA or Switzerland who make a significant capital investment in financial assets, the acquisition of real estate or a business project.
  • It also applies to foreign nationals who have a company when the investment is made by a legal person registered in a territory that is not considered a tax haven. In that case, the foreign national must, directly or indirectly, hold a majority of its voting rights and have the power to appoint or remove a majority of the members of its board of directors.

Who should apply for it?

  • If the individual is outside Spain:
The visa application can be submitted by the foreign national in person or by means of a representative with the due accreditation.

  • If the individual is in Spain legally:
In this case, it is not necessary to apply for a visa, but rather for a residence permit for investors and capital investors from the Large Companies and Strategic Groups Unit.

What requirements must be met?
To apply for this type of visa, you must meet the general requirements for staying or residing in Spanish territory and the specific requirements relating only to the residence visa for investors and capital investors or for the acquisition of real estate.

General requirements:
  • Not being in an irregular situation in Spanish territory;
  • Being at least 18 years of age;
  • Having no criminal record in Spain and in the countries where you have resided during the last five years, for crimes provided for in the Spanish legal system;
  • Not being forbidden to enter Spain or being listed as liable to be refused entry in the territorial area of countries with which Spain has signed an agreement to that effect;
  • Having sufficient financial resources for yourself and your family members during your period of residence in Spain;
  • Having health insurance taken out with an insurance company authorized  to operate in Spain;
  • Paying the visa application fee;

Specific requirements:

Making an investment that complies with the minimum amounts required:

Investment in financial assets, making an initial investment equal to or greater than one of the following values:
  • Two million euros in Spanish public debt securities;
  • One million euros in shares in Spanish limited liability companies with real business activity;
  • One million euros in investment funds, closed-end investment funds or venture capital funds established in Spain;
  • One million euros in bank deposits in Spanish financial institutions;
  • Acquisition of real estate in Spain with an investment equal to or greater than 500,000 euros;

Investment in a business project to be executed in Spain that is considered and proven to be of public interest, in which case compliance with at least one of the following conditions will be assessed:
  • Creation of jobs;
  • Making an investment with a relevant socio-economic impact in the geographical area in which the activity is to be carried on;
  • Relevant contribution to scientific or technological innovation;

What advice and suggestions could help you?
If your application is refused, there is no refund of the fee.
It is advisable to consult the relevant diplomatic mission or consular office about the specific nature of the procedure before starting it.

Your family members may accompany you on your trip and, at any time, they may jointly apply for a permit or visa. This condition applies to: 
  • Spouse or unmarried partner;
  • Children who are minors, or who are of legal age, and who are financially dependent on the holder;
  • Dependent relatives in the ascending line;

You should be aware that, depending on where you are at the time of application (outside Spain or in Spain legally), the permit you must apply for varies.

  • If you are outside Spain, you must apply for a residence visa for investors and capital investors or for the acquisition of real estate at the Spanish consulate in your country of residence.
  • If you are legally in Spain (either with a tourist visa or any residence permit) or you have a residence visa for investors and you want to continue your investment project in Spain, you can request the residence permit for capital investors from the Large Companies and Strategic Groups Unit (LCSG).