business, Residence permit, work in spain


Nationals of third countries who travel to Spain to carry out a remote work or professional activity for companies located outside the national territory, through the exclusive use of computer, telematics and telecommunication media and systems.

In the case of exercise of a labor activity, the holder of the authorization by telework of international character will only be able to work for companies located outside the national territory.

In the case of exercise of a professional activity, the holder of the authorization by telework of international character will be allowed to work for a company located in Spain, as long as the percentage of the above-mentioned work does not exceed 20 % of the total of his professional activity.

(Does not apply to citizens of the European Union or to those to whom European Union law applies)

Qualified professionals may apply for a visa or teleworking authorization that accredit being graduates or postgraduates from universities of recognized prestige, professional training and business schools of recognized prestige or with a minimum professional experience of three years.

The following family members of the teleworker may also obtain the visa:

  • The spouse or unmarried partner.
  • Children and adult children who are financially dependent on the teleworker and who have not created a family unit of their own.
  • Relatives in the ascending line in the teleworker's care.


 1. VALID, unexpired passport. Original and full passport copy (all pages). The passport must have a minimum validity period of 1 year and contain two blank pages. Passports issued more than 10 years ago will not be accepted. 

2. Company certificate, reflecting:

a) If he is an employee, the seniority of the worker in the company, as well as the explicit permission of the company to the worker to carry out of remote work.

b) If you are a self-employed worker, the age of the contractual relationship, as well as the terms and conditions in which you will exercise the professional activity to distance.

3. Certificate of Mercantile Registry (or similar body of the country) in which the date of Constitution of the company and the type of activity. You must prove a real and continuous activity for at least one year.

Foreign documents must be legalized or apostilled and, where applicable, must be submitted together with an official translation into Spanish.

4. Bank certificate proving the possession of at least €25,000 for the main applicant, which is 200% of the minimum wage in Spain (and €9441 for each additional family member, 75% of the minimum salary in Spain). If the money is in a foreign bank, it will be necessary to provide a simple translation. Conversely, you can also use your salary or job contract to demonstrate the possession of these economic funds.

These amounts can be accredited, among others, with the contract, payroll, certificate of the company that moves, etc.

5. Criminal background check certificate dated no more than five months before the application date, stating that applicant does not have criminal record where they have resided for the past five years. Not applicable for students under 18 years old.

If the applicant has spent six month or more during the last five years in another country/State, he/she must submit the police records from that country/State, legalized with the Apostille Certification and translated into Spanish. If the country is not part of the Hague Convention the document must be legalized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and then by the Spanish Consulate in that country.

6. A responsible declaration of the absence of criminal records penalties of the last 5 years.

7. Proof of public or private health insurance from an insurer recognized and authorized to operate in Spain. The insurance must cover all risks normally covered for nationals and must be maintained for the entire duration of the authorization.

It must cover at least all the preventive, diagnostic, treatment and rehabilitation assistance activities that are carried out in health centers or socio-health centers, as well as urgent health transport.

It must be health insurance (not travel). Therefore, it is not necessary to cover repatriations and/or evacuations.

The health insurance must not have a deficiency, copayment, or coverage limit, that is, it must cover 100% of the medical, hospital, and out-of-hospital expenses.

8. Responsible declaration of the company, in the event that the worker is employed by another, or the self-employed worker, where the commitment to comply appears, prior to the start of the work or professional activity, of the obligations in Social Security and, in case of non-coverage by international standard of coordination of Social Security Systems and work for others, accreditation of the registration of the company in the Social Security.

9. Copy of the degree or documentation that proves an experience professional of at least three years.

And, finally, we find a difference depending on whether you work for a company as an employee or are a freelancer:

If you have a contract with a foreign company (as an employee), it will be essential that this company has been operating for at least 1 year prior to your application. And, besides that, the company must state that your position allows remote work and that they specifically allow you to do so
If you are a freelancer, you must be working for at least one company (that must be outside Spain), and it will be through the terms and conditions of your contract that the possibility to work remotely is specified